Thursday, September 4, 2014

To Sitting in a Tree

 This is a pretty strange Period Piece that I wrote on the fly a long while back. The concept was to see if I could write a short story usually absolutely no exposition; only dialogue. It was difficult, in particular, to show time passing and I think I may have cheated just a bit by using the triple dots in between these sections. Eh. Whatever. I had fun writing it! Let me know what you think!


To Sitting in a Tree

By Adam Gonzales


“Well now. There you are.”

“I’ve been in this tree for ages. Everybody else ran by without a second glance.”

“I can’t say I’m surprised.”

“So how ever did you find me?”

“Well no one looks up for a girl.”

“And just what is that supposed to mean?”

“It’s simple, really. Everyone was looking where they wanted you to be; where they predicted you to be. But you’re unpredictable, aren’t you?”

“And?”

“And one only finds what they’re truly looking for when they’re actually looking for it.”

“Now you’re just being hopelessly confusing.”

“No. Not really, at least. Everyone will find someone else along the way eventually. But I know you well enough to look…up. Hence our current reunion.”

“Well that’s just silly.”

“Be that as it may, I did find you, did I not?”

“You did.”

“And?”

“And what do we do now?”

“Well now I’m to help you down from that tree, I suppose. Come, now.”

“But I don’t want to come down.”

“Well you must.”

“No I musn’t.”

“Well then, I suppose I’ll need to climb up there with you.”

“I don’t think that’s such a grand idea.”

“Neither do I, but that’s not going to stop me now, is it? Up I go.”

Would you please stop?”

“Oh, come now! I’m not that much of a nuisance, am I?”

“You can be at times, yes.”

“I’m almost there now, anyways. See, I'm at the top branch already.”

“You didn’t have to climb up here.”

“Of course I didn’t, but here I am.”

“Here you are.”

“Well then. Hello.”

“Hello. Tired now, are we?”

“Oh no! Not quite.”

“I’m sure.”

.    .    .   

“It’s quite beautiful up here, isn’t it?”

“It is…. You know, if you crane your neck just so, you can see a meadow beyond those trees there.”

“Really now?”

“Yes. Just there. See?”

“Hmmm. Yes, I believe I do.”

.    .    .

“May I ask you a question?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“You weren’t talking about the trees just then, were you?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Never mind. Forget I said anything.”

“Ha ha! No. You’ve caught me it seems. I was not talking about the trees.”

“You can be forward with me, you know.”

“I thank you for your permission, but you’ll find I feel myself too anxious to speak so plainly.”

“And yet you spoke just as plainly only a short while ago.”

“I suppose I did, didn’t I?”

“You did.”

“Forgive me for that then.”

“Oh, don’t expect to bet let off so easily.”

“Alright then.”

“So?”

“So I believe I have something to tell you then, haven’t I?”

“Oh please, do tell.”

“Persephone?”

“Yes?”

“I do believe I have found myself infatuated by you.”

“ Oh dearest me, I never would have known.”

“Come now! This is no small matter!”

“No. But it is very funny.”

“Yes, I guess it can be seen in that light.”

“Yes it can.”

“Tell me this though.”

“Yes?”

“How long must we sit in this tree?”

“You’re free to leave whenever.”

“Right then, I’ll plan for a long stay, shall I?”

“I said you’re free to leave when you please.”

“And leave you alone out here? Ha! Most certainly not!”

“I can manage.”

“I’m sure you can. But every young lady needs someone who at least has the potential to watch after them.”

“And you intend to be this individual, do you?”

“I do.”

“I thought you might.”

“And?”

“And it seems there’s no getting rid of you, I suppose.”

“I would have to agree.”

“So.”

“So?”

“Here’s to sitting in a tree, then!”

“Ha ha! Yes! To sitting in a tree!”

No comments: